Re: [patch 04/14] ia64: Remove the __SMALL_ADDR_AREA attribute for per cpu access

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2007-11-28 08:18:36
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:

> Uniformity for the sake of uniformity?  The small data addressing is
> really elegant and I don't think it should be dropped just for the
> sake of uniformity.

Uniformity for the sake of code size reduction and easier maintenance.

Yes I think it would be great to have this feature on all arches if
possible. If someone could work with the gcc /linker folks to get this
done that would be great.

But the feature has been removed from gcc and so its not usable for IA64
with a current compiler anymore. This is basically removing useless code.