Re: [QUICKLIST 0/6] Arch independent quicklists V1

From: David Miller <davem_at_davemloft.net>
Date: 2007-03-15 18:31:18
From: Andrew Morton <akpm@linux-foundation.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 00:22:49 -0800

> So...  what would happen if sparc64 were to use neither quicklists nor
> slab?  Just grab these pages from the page allocator and clear them?

The page table allocator is heavier weight than the quicklists,
although obviously not as heavy weight as SLAB.

I know special purpose allocation lists suck, but they really help in
this case in my opinion.

And for the x86 cases it's not going to help to have GFP_ZERO stuff
via the page allocator for page tables, they have to have specific
bits in the pre-initialized areas for the kernel PGDs, not just zero.