Re: [patch 1/3] ia64: enable CONFIG_DEBUG_SPINLOCK_SLEEP

From: Andrew Morton <akpm_at_osdl.org>
Date: 2006-12-20 20:53:59
On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 10:46:40 +0100
Jes Sorensen <jes@sgi.com> wrote:

> Andrew Morton wrote:
> >> Please don't do this in the sn2 defconfig! Spin lock debugging totally
> >> kills scalability. I'll end up with a ton of internal complaints over
> >> the kernel not performing if this goes in :-(
> >
> > Well you tell me how to stop ia64 developers from submitting stuff which
> > has stupid bugs which instamanifest for everyone else?  It is not uncommon.
>
> Beat them with a stick?

Make it a pointy stick and I can improve on that.

I've been thinking that we could do with a CONFIG_RC_KERNEL or something
which gets turned on up until -rc4 or so, then gets turned off.  So we can
make the devel kernels more debugging-friendly.

The main problem would be remembering to turn the dang thing off and on at
the right times.