Re: [Fastboot] IA64 Kdump patch V3

From: Jay Lan <jlan_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2006-08-30 11:26:38
Jay Lan wrote:
> Hi Nanhai,
>
> There is a problem in sn2. The sn2 does not have any memory with
> a predictible offset. It is not possible to specify a memory location
> at boot.
>
> I modified the efi_initialize_iomem_resources() routine in
> arch/ia64/kernel/efi.c to calculate crashk_res.start and .end on the
> fly and uses the "A" of crashkernel=A@B as size to find a region
> that fits.
>
> Maybe we should separate A and B as two options?

The "B" part of the crashkernel boot option is meaningless to sn2
machine and can be very confusing to sn2 users.

> I now have memory reserved, but kernal hanged when executing 'kexec'
> command. There must be similar issues in kexec.

On further debugging, the kexec dumped core instead at this statement:
+        elf_rel_set_symbol(&info->rhdr, "__boot_param_base",
+                        &boot_param_base, sizeof(long));

of elf_ia64_load() in kexec/arch/ia64/kexec-elf-ia64.c.

Examing the memory i found "__boot_param_base" indeed not present in
the symbol table.

It seems that purgatory/arch/ia64/entry.S does not have a line
+DECLARE_DATAB(____boot_param_base).
Is it not needed in other ia64 machines? How does it work in HP
machines?

Thanks,
  - jay