Re: [Fastboot] Ia64 kdump patch

From: Jay Lan <jlan_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2006-08-04 11:47:14
Zou Nan hai wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-07-28 at 05:41, Jay Lan wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I applied the patch to 2.6.18-rc2. However, compilation failed
>>at machine_shutdown() of arch/ia64/kernel/machine_kexec.c on
>>an sn2 machine.
>>
>>It was easy to figure out irq_descp() is gone and idesc->handle
>>is replaced with idesc->chip. But this code in machine_shutdown()
>>caused an error:

>>if (cpu != smp_processor_id())
>>cpu_down(cpu);
>>}
>>}
>>#elif defined(CONFIG_SMP)
>>smp_call_function(kexec_stop_this_cpu, (void *)image->start, 0, 0); <===
>>#endif
>>
>>'image' is undefined in the code. Was it a global? Where was it
>>declared?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>- jay
>>

>   Hi, can you try if it works with CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU enabled?
>   Thanks
>   Zou Nan hai

Sorry i have been pulled away on something else...
With CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU enabled, the problem code would not get
compiled, thus i was able to create a kernel rpm. Unfortunately
i failed to boot the sn2 kernel...

So i switched to my reference box, an ia64 HP zx box. It booted
up OK (tiger defconfig). Then i got stuck on a stupid quesiton:
I was not able to run the 'kexec' command to load the kernel
specified in the '-p' parameter. What kernel was i supposed
to specify there? The one i built? Or, a reqular kernel that
proves to work?

Thanks,
  - jay