RSE and incomplete register frame

From: Christian Hildner <christian.hildner_at_hob.de>
Date: 2006-08-02 18:17:35
Hi there,

for an IA64 related question I dropped a query to
ia64-technical@gelato.unsw.edu.au . However there was not really any
helpful response. So please let me make use of the bigger audience on
this list. Your comments are all welcome. Thanks.

Here the original text:
Hi,

while developing an instruction set simulator I found the chapter about
incomplete register frame (ASDM vol. 2) to be inaccurate. It says that
the incomplete frame becomes complete when RSE.ndirty_words becomes
non-negative by executing mandatory RSE loads. However, mandatory RSE
loads are not touching BSPSTORE or the dirty partition. RSE loads are
extending the clean partition. Furthermore if you consider RSE.BOF to
end up inside the clean partition after a br.ret or rfi, then BSPSTORE
is located above BSP. However, the new current frame should be
considered complete since there are no mandatory RSE loads needed. Given
this, BSPSTORE should be replaced by RSE.Bspload, which is the true
criterion for an incomplete register frame.

The practice when dealing with br.ret or rfi seems to be that BSPSTORE
is forced to BSP when RSE.BOF is updated into the clean partition.
However, this behavior is lacking documentation in one of the ASDM.

Christian