2.6.17.1 new perfmon code base, libpfm, pfmon available

From: Stephane Eranian <eranian_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2006-06-22 00:24:47
Hello,

I have released another version of the perfmon new code base package.
This version of the kernel patch is relative to 2.6.17.1.

The patch includes:
	- support for 32-bit mode AMD64 processors (Chuck Ebbert)
	- mini-argument buffers on stack optimization for read/write of PMU registers
	- fix user group permission checking which were ignored
	- fix a missing irqsave in perfmon_kapi.c

For the stack buffers there are per-arch constants that can be adjusted based
on stack size limitations. Look for PFM_ARCH_PM*_ARG.

I have also release a new libpfm, libpfm-3.2-060621, which includes:

	- support for 32-bit mode AMD64 processors
	- fix an opcode matching/range restriction limitation for Itanium2 PMC13
 	  and Montecito PMC41 registers.

This version of the library works with 2.6.17-rc6 and 2.6.17.1

Also a new version of pfmon, pfmon-3.2-060621, to take advantage of the update in libpfm:

	- support for 32-bit mode AMD64 processors
	- updated event name parsing to prepare for separate
	  event unit mask management (Kevin Corry)
	- fix the detection of unavailable PMC registers. it was causing crashes
	  when used with sampling.

Note that I have tested 32-bit compiled libpfm,pfmon running on an 64-bit AMD
perfmon kernel. I have not tested on a 32-bit AMD linux kernel because I don't
have such setup. I would appreciate any feedback on this.

You can grab the new packages at our web site:

	 http://perfmon2.sf.net

PS: I will post an incremental kernel patch and a diffstat on the perfmon mailing list.

--
-Stephane