Re: [discuss] Re: FOR REVIEW: New x86-64 vsyscall vgetcpu()

From: Andi Kleen <ak_at_suse.de>
Date: 2006-06-19 18:54:29
> Probably I have not explained it correctly:
> - The "information page" (that includes the current CPU no.) is not a
>   per CPU page

If it isn't then you can't figure out the current CPU/node for a thread.

Anyways I think we're talking past each other. Your approach might
even work on ia64 (at least if you're willing to add a lot of cost
to the context switch). You presumably could implement vgetcpu()
internally with an approach like this (although with IA64's fast
EPC calls it seems a bit pointless)

It just won't work on x86.

-Andi