RE: Montecito processor family

From: Chen, Kenneth W <kenneth.w.chen_at_intel.com>
Date: 2006-06-07 04:04:32
Luck, Tony wrote on Thursday, June 01, 2006 9:33 AM
> > Why not have "model name" with the text name, like on ia32?
> >
> > vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> > cpu family      : 15
> > model           : 4
> > model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
> > stepping        : 1
>
> This sounds like an excellent plan.  We can even use the new
> (in SDM2.2 p. 2:345) PAL_BRAND_INFO call to get the right
> (Intel marketting/legal approved) string.  For older systems
> that don't implement PAL_BRAND_INFO we could have some fallback
> code that decodes family/model to Merced/McKinley/Madison.

I would also like to take this opportunity to revamp feature string.
It is way too long, and should be either two or three letter acronym
like x86:

X86 feature string: "flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce ... "

- features   : branchlong, 16-byte atomic ops
+ features   : lb ao