RE: Montecito processor family

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2006-06-04 04:43:17
> That seems like a good reason for family and model to be
> numbers straight from the hardware.  Applications can key
> off the numbers.  Then the text "model name" string could
> change without breaking applications.
>
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 15
> model           : 4
> model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
> stepping        : 1

Using PAL_BRAND_INFO on Montecito I end up with this:

vendor     : GenuineIntel
arch       : IA-64
family     : 32
model      : 0
model name : Intel(r) Itanium(r) 2 Processor 1.6GHz with 24M L3 Cache for 533MHz Platforms

Which is stylistically pretty similar (though somewhat more verbose
... PAL_BRAND_INFO allows for up to 127 characters + NUL so it could
get even chattier, but at least there is an upper bound).

-Tony