RE: dropping CONFIG_IA32_SUPPORT from ia64

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2006-05-26 01:40:48
> in the pre-Montecito IPF CPUs.  AFAIK, the exact same binary is even
> used both for the Windows and Linux versions of IA32EL.

That's how it was explained to me too.  Looking at the binary blob
part of the ia32-el package:

$ file /usr/lib/ia32el/ia32exec.bin
/usr/lib/ia32el/ia32exec.bin: MS-DOS executable (EXE), OS/2 or MS Windows

it seems that the implementation matches the slideware :-)

The rest of the ia32-el package is open source ... which should
provide enough documentation on how the OS-level code interfaces
to the instruction execution engine to allow it to be replaced.

-Tony