Re: dropping CONFIG_IA32_SUPPORT from ia64

From: Rich Altmaier <richa_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2006-05-25 08:30:00
I will offer the opinion that support of the IA32 ABI is
important.  That is, the ability to install and run
an IA32 binary (doesn't matter how, just matters it is
the same binary as used on an IA32 machine).
And I am certainly happy with the IA32-EL approach.

This feature provides a bridge for a customer with certainly
a lot more IA32 machines in their shop.  No customer will
have a dominate number of IA64 systems.  Hence the
ability for the IA64 to fit it and blend it, and run
any code there, and in addition do its special work,
is a much, much easier sell.
The reverse story, that IA64 runs only IA64 binaries,
is a tough sell.

Thanks!!
Rich
Rich Altmaier