RE: [5/5] move_pages: 32bit support (i386,x86_64 and ia64)

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2006-05-25 05:18:27
> If it does not work then remove it now.
It still works ... it just isn't complete as most of the syscalls
added in the past 18 months haven't been included.

> Are there any users left?
I've no idea.  Two OSDs have been shipping the Intel s/w emulator for
a while now, one installs it by default.  So the number of users is
probably diminishing.  When people upgrade to Montecito, s/w emulation
is the only option, which will further reduce the user population.

> I vaguely remember some BIOS code having to be executed in ia32 mode in
> order to make some device drives work?
> If that is the case then we cannot drop ia32 support at all.
The kernel doesn't handle BIOS code execution ... so the value of
CONFIG_IA32_SUPPORT makes no difference to this.

-Tony

If this thread continues, I'll drop all the innocent bystanders from
the Cc: list and just leave linux-ia64 from future replies.