Re: Synchronizing Bit operations V2

From: <linux_at_horizon.com>
Date: 2006-03-31 12:33:46
> The following patchset implements the ability to specify a
> synchronization mode for bit operations.
>
> I.e. instead of set_bit(x,y) we can do set_bit(x,y, mode).
>
> The following modes are supported:

Yuck.

The only conceivable reason for passing the mode as a separate parameter is
- To change the mode dynamically at run time.
- To share common code when the sequence is long and mostly shared
  between the various modes (as in open(2) or ll_rw_block()).

I sincerely hope neither of those apply in this case.

On the downside, it's more typing and uglier than a series of

frob_bit_nonatomic()
	(probably temporarily or permanently aliased to frob_bit())
frob_bit_atomic()
frob_bit_acquire()
frob_bit_release()
frob_bit_barrier()

functions, and those also prevent you from doing something silly like
frob_bit(x, y, O_DIRECT).  Also, the MODE_ prefix might be wanted by
something else.