RE: unlock_buffer() and clear_bit()

From: Chen, Kenneth W <kenneth.w.chen_at_intel.com>
Date: 2006-03-25 08:46:09
Zoltan Menyhart wrote on Friday, March 24, 2006 7:18 AM
> I wonder if "unlock_buffer()" works correctly on ia64...
>
> As far As I can see, nothing makes it sure that data modifications
> issued inside the critical section be globally visible before the
> "BH_Lock" bit gets cleared.

Are you saying the memory ordering in unlock_buffer() is x86 centric
that relies on arch specific write ordering? (on x86, write to memory
implies a release semantics w.r.t. read proceed it).  It's better to
bring this up on LKML.  If your concern is true, then it is a bug in
the generic code that lacks smp_mb__before_clear_bit.

- Ken