Re: [patch] mspec - special memory driver and do_no_pfn handler

From: Jes Sorensen <jes_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2006-03-17 20:42:01
Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Quite frankly, I don't think nopfn() is a good interface. It's only usable
> for one single thing, so trying to claim that it's a generic VM op is
> really not valid. If (and that's a big if) we need this interface, we
> should just do it inside mm/memory.c instead of playing games as if it was
> generic.

Hi Linus,

As Robin mentioned I believe Carsten was also looking for this interface
and I received an email from Bjorn Helgas after posting this stating
that he was also looking for it, so there may be several users for it.

I believe it was originally Christoph who suggested we took this
approach to avoid playing tricks on do_no_page. However, if you have a
suggestion for how to do it in a better way, I shall be happy to try
and implement it that way instead, if you'll share the details.

Cheers,
Jes