Re: [Perfctr-devel] 2.6.16-rc5 perfmon2 new code base + libpfm with Montecito support

From: Stephane Eranian <eranian_at_hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2006-03-14 05:55:00
Will,

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 01:39:01PM -0500, William Cohen wrote:
> Hi Stephane,
>
> I have been looking through the perfmon2 code to see how it is going to
> work with OProfile. It looks like the ia64 oprofile support has not been
> modified to work with the changes in perfmon2. Has the ia64 kernel been
> built with perfmon2 and oprofile support? I don't have easy access to an
> ia64, so I haven't been able to verify that the attached patch works.
> However, I expect that the changes in the patch will be required for
> OProfile to function with perfmon2.

Good timing. I just fixed this today. Now it compiles fine on
IA64.  I also started looking into using the same technique on
i386. It is very easy. It looks like opcontrol or ophelp
would need to be updated. I think the trick is to make
sure that ophelp knows the PMU mapping used by perfmon2,
i.e., knows that PERFEVTSEL0 is PMC0 for instance.

--
-Stephane