Re: accessed/dirty bit handler tuning

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2006-03-14 03:31:25
On Mon, 13 Mar 2006, Zoltan Menyhart wrote:

> I think we can do some accessed/dirty bit handler tuning. E.g.
> in my patch (based on the Christoph's one entitled "Fix race in the
> accessed/dirty bit handlers"), I think we gain a bit by:

Could you measure the effect that this has? We seem to be getting into
some special processor behavior here.

> - using the "nta" hint in order not to "pollute" the caches L1D / L3

The last that I heard about nta was that it just skips the marking of a
cacheline as recent. Thus the cacheline will be a more likely candidate to
be evicted from the caches. Are you sure that the processors can bypass
the L1D and L3?