Re: [patch 5/5] fix sn rw_mmr.h to use intrinsic

From: Christoph Hellwig <hch_at_infradead.org>
Date: 2006-01-31 22:19:35
On Tue, Jan 31, 2006 at 05:57:05AM -0500, Jes Sorensen wrote:
> I have to say that I have always found it very discouraging how the
> kernel had this mess added which is badly obfuscating the code solely
> to support one vendor's broken compiler.
>
> The real solution to this problem would be for Intel's compiler people
> to fix the brokenness of ICC instead of adding any more of this
> obfuscation to the kernel ;-(

Agreed.  Obsfucating for a propritary and pretty much irrelevant (for the
kernel) compiler is a horrible thing to do.  And the only reason we do that
at all is that the compiler is from the same company that's behind ia64.
Please fix up your damn compiler.  Even SGI managed to add proper inline
as▀embly support to Pro64, and they had much less ressources.