Re: [Perfctr-devel] RE: [perfmon] Re: quick overview of the perfmon2 interface

From: Bryan O'Sullivan <bos_at_serpentine.com>
Date: 2006-01-27 05:26:42
On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 23:48 -0800, Stephane Eranian wrote:

> You need to be root to insert the module. But I believe that for many user
> environments, this is more practical than having to recompile a custom kernel.

Clearly.

> You can imagine the format being shipped with the tool, when the sysadmin
> installs the tool it also installs the module.

In that case, you need some kind of per-distro cruft to make sure the
module gets loaded at every boot, or a setuid program that can install
the module, right?.  Neither of these approaches works well in a cluster
environment where you're running your tools from a shared directory.

I'd really like the default mode of operation for users to not require
root privileges to get at normal functionality.  This is something
perfctr makes possible, for example.

	<b