Re: [Patch 1/1] 4-level page tables v4.

From: Jack Steiner <steiner_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-11-11 11:24:06
On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 04:13:02PM -0800, Chen, Kenneth W wrote:
> Robin Holt wrote on Thursday, November 10, 2005 2:39 PM
> > I am going to attach the dispersal analysis the modified objdump that
> > Jack has produced.
>
> >  5c:    8 S                   cmp.eq p6,p7=5,r17
> >  60:    8         [MII]       nop.m 0x0
> >  66:    8                     shr.u r18=r22,36;;
>
> Hmm, I think the dispersal analysis software is buggy.  At least for
> the above instance.  Immediate form of shr is pseudo-op'ed to extr.
> It should count the above bundle with 2 cycles instead of one cycle.

Very possible. The tool is very old & non-supported. We have used it
several times and had good luck. It seems to point out ares of code
that stall unexpectedlt. Eliminating the stalls usually improved
performance. However, I would be surprised if there were no
bugs in the code.

I would like to see a standard tool that gives dispersal analysis.
There was a discussion on the IA64 list ~ month ago but so far, no
takers.

> - Ken
>
> -

Thanks

Jack Steiner (steiner@sgi.com)          651-683-5302
Principal Engineer                      SGI - Silicon Graphics, Inc.