RE: [RFC] 4-level page table directories.

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2005-11-10 11:27:48
>Is it possible you are mixing up MAX_NUMALINK_NODES (the maximum
>system size, i.e., the maximum number of nodes in a numalink domain)
>with CONFIG_NR_CPUS (the maximum SSI size)?
>
>I'm pretty confident SGI has not proposed setting CONFIG_NR_CPUS=16384
>to any OSV. ;-)

It's always possible that I'm confused.  Here's the message where
Robin introduced the rationale for 4-level page tables:

 http://tinyurl.com/bewsk

In that he says "current = 2048" ... which I think is how many
cpus can be in the whole box ... 512 is the current max cpus in
a coherence domain (and thus the max that a single instance of
Linux will see today).

With Montecito (dual core, two threads in each core) the number
of cpus Linux sees will be quadrupled in a system with the same
number of sockets.  Add more sockets, and the 16384 number may
not be impossible.

-Tony