Re: [RFC] 4-level page table directories.

From: Jack Steiner <steiner_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-11-10 11:23:30
On Thu, Nov 10, 2005 at 01:03:44AM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > But don't you already have that issue with persuading them to ship with
> > CONFIG_NR_CPUS=16384?  Surely there are a whole boatload of tuneables
> > and patches needed to get this sized system up and running? 4-level
> > pagetables are just one piece of the puzzle.
>
> Is it possible you are mixing up MAX_NUMALINK_NODES (the maximum
> system size, i.e., the maximum number of nodes in a numalink domain)
> with CONFIG_NR_CPUS (the maximum SSI size)?
>
> I'm pretty confident SGI has not proposed setting CONFIG_NR_CPUS=16384
> to any OSV. ;-)
>
> Gerald

True, nothing this big is proposed for inclusion in SLES. The current max
for NR_CPUS is 1024.

MAX_NUMALINK_NODES is the number of nodes in all SSI clusters that are
connected by NUMALINK. Single kernels are still restricted to 256
nodes & 1024 cpus.

--
Thanks

Jack Steiner (steiner@sgi.com)          651-683-5302
Principal Engineer                      SGI - Silicon Graphics, Inc.