RE: virtualization hooks patch for ia64 2.6.15

From: Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) <dan.magenheimer_at_hp.com>
Date: 2005-11-04 08:46:52

OK.  Would you approve if it comes through the other path
(with all the x86 Xen changes)?  With your blessing,
I might be able to get Xen/ia64 support in the mainstream
at the same time as Xen/x86.

> On the patch itself ... can you describe why some of the
> static symbols in entry.S need to be global (load_switch_stack,
> __ia64_leave_syscall, notify_resume_user).

These assembly routines use privilege-sensitive instructions
so calls to these routines need to be replaced with calls to
equivalent routines that are slightly rewritten to avoid those
instructions.  (In an earlier version of the Xen patch, I had
put these rewritten versions in arch/ia64/xen/xenentry.S.)

Thanks,
Dan