Re: [RFC] 4-level page table directories.

From: David Mosberger-Tang <David.Mosberger_at_acm.org>
Date: 2005-11-03 05:59:04
Robin,

Thanks for running all those benchmarks.

On 11/2/05, Robin Holt <holt@sgi.com> wrote:

> Does anybody have any objections to making 4 level the default?

My concern is that 4-level PT really isn't needed on ia64 for all but
the largest machines and adding a 4-th level cannot possibly help
performance and definitely has a (small) cost.  I see that you have a
CONFIG option now, which is good.  I don't have a strong opinion what
should be the default.  Longer term, it would be good to settle on one
implementation, so perhaps it's not a bad idea to make 4-level the
default and see if anyone complains about performance regressions.

Mosberger Consulting LLC, voice/fax: 510-744-9372,
http://www.mosberger-consulting.com/
35706 Runckel Lane, Fremont, CA 94536