RE: virtualization hooks patch for ia64 2.6.15

From: Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) <dan.magenheimer_at_hp.com>
Date: 2005-10-29 09:09:05
> > See further down in my (admittedly wordy) message.
> > Some of the Xen/ia64 functionality is shared with Xen/x86
> > and the Xen/x86 patch is coming through a different channel
> > so I can't submit a full working Xen/ia64 patch.
> >
> > This patch provides an ia64 generic abstraction layer which
> > is required when the (multiple architecture) Xen patch
> > is ready, but other ia64 virtualization solutions can also
> > make use of the hooks too.  Since these hooks are largely
> > independent of the Xen patch, I'm submitting them
> > separately so that the foundation is ready when the
> > rest of the Xen stuff gets submitted.
>
> We have a pretty strong no unused hooks policy for the linux
> kernel, as we don't want to put in unused code.  This is more
> of a restructuring than actual hooks though, so it's on a borderline.

Yeah... one could argue that ALL the hooks are used, just
trivially for now.  :-) There is no unused code.

> I'd really prefer to get Xen/ia64 and the Xen common code merged soon
> though - it's in a much better shape then Xen/i386 and would give the
> common code some badly needed exposure.

Me too, but I'm not in a position to submit (or defend) things
like the Xen virtual I/O drivers which are ultimately necessary
for a real user to make use of Xen/ia64.  With my proposed
patch and the Xen/ia64 usage of the hooks, one can run
Xen's "domain0" virtualized, but other guests will need
the Xen virtual I/O drivers which are coming through another
channel.

Dan