Re: More on the ia64 pipe filling problem

From: David Mosberger-Tang <David.Mosberger_at_acm.org>
Date: 2005-10-13 03:45:16
On 10/11/05, Jeff Licquia <licquia@progeny.com> wrote:

> It could be simply asserted that ia64 kernels must be configured with 4K
> page sizes in order to be LSB compliant.  That doesn't sound very
> useful.  I imagine there is a benefit to larger page sizes, or the
> option wouldn't be available.

Certainly not acceptable.  TLB pressure is way bigger with 4KB pages
and causes measurable performance degradation.

I suspect you'll want to ask Linus' opinion since he's the author of
the code in question (AFAIK).

Mosberger Consulting LLC, voice/fax: 510-744-9372,
http://www.mosberger-consulting.com/
35706 Runckel Lane, Fremont, CA 94536