Re: [patch 2.6.13 0/6] swiotlb maintenance and x86_64 dma_sync_single_range_for_{cpu,device}

From: Andi Kleen <ak_at_suse.de>
Date: 2005-09-26 17:01:48
On Friday 23 September 2005 20:27, Luck, Tony wrote:
> >> It should just go away once the GFP_DMA32 code is merged.
> >
> >Is that the plan?  I suppose it makes sense.
> >
> >So, move it to driver/pci/swiotlb.c?  Or just leave it where it is?
> >
> >Either way, I'll redo the other patches to reflect the correct
> >location.
>
> I don't have a good (or in fact any) understanding of the impact
> of GFP_DMA32 on ia64.  People tell me it will all be good, but I'd
> like to hear from someone running it.

It shouldn't change anything for IA64. GFP_DMA32 just becomes
an alias for your GFP_DMA.  On advantage is that drivers can
be now source level compatible between x86-64 and ia64
for this (although they should be really using pci_alloc_consistent()
instead)

> If it is good, and if it is coming soon, then there is no point
> moving swiotlb.  But I don't know the answers to either of those
> questions.

swiotlb is still needed even with GFP_DMA32. Just move it.
2.6.15 won't have it also.

-Andi