Re: ia64 dispersal analysis capability

From: Gary Hade <garyhade_at_us.ibm.com>
Date: 2005-09-22 06:23:59
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 01:23:43PM -0500, Jack Steiner wrote:
> In 2002, Gary Hade posted a patch to binutils that added dispersal
> analysis to the output of objdump.

That was a long time ago. :)

> Does anyone know what happened to the patch?

I think it may have died due to lack of interest.  I'm
not aware many folks like you that have actually been
using it.

At the time, I obtained a FSF copyright assignment for
the code at the request of one of the binutils maintainers.
AFAIK the patch was never incorporated although I do
not remember seeing any technical concerns from the
binutils maintainers before I moved on to a different
project.

> Is there another tool that provides the same information?

Not that I'm aware of.
The binutils patch was based on an earlier stand-alone utility
that processed `objdump -d` output but that program lacked
Itanium 2 support and several other improvements that I put
in the binutils version.  I can't remember very much about the
code but I suspect that some of these changes would not have
been adaptable to the stand-alone utility.

> I've found the tool very useful for providing insight into IA64
> code scheduling.

Thanks.  We thought it might be useful to someone.

Gary

--
Gary Hade
IBM Linux Technology Center