Re: [RFC] timer_interrupt: Avoid device timeouts by freezing time if system froze

From: David Mosberger-Tang <David.Mosberger_at_acm.org>
Date: 2005-09-20 04:10:40
On 9/19/05, Christoph Lameter <clameter@engr.sgi.com> wrote:

> However, any mechanism like that will have a time running strangely fast
> for awhile which may cause other subsystems to misbehave.

That's already true due to NTP.

> I still think that the proposed patch is the best compromise solution
> since it restored the normal flow of time as soon as possible.

I disagree.  Time jumps are much worse than making time go slightly
faster/slower for a period of time.  What's even better, the timeouts
you're seeing when making time jump almost certainly will just
disappear, which is extremely nice.

Mosberger Consulting LLC, voice/fax: 510-744-9372,
http://www.mosberger-consulting.com/
35706 Runckel Lane, Fremont, CA 94536