Re: git pull on ia64 linux tree

From: David Mosberger-Tang <David.Mosberger_at_acm.org>
Date: 2005-09-13 03:51:28
Speaking of big honking comments, it'd also be good (actually: very
necessary) to have something in Documentation/ia64/mca.txt that
explains the environment in which MCA/INIT are being executed.
Keith's bulleted list could serve as a starting point, along with
answers to questions that have come up along the way (e.g., should you
worry about the interrupted task's memory being bad and causing ECCs).
 Without such a document, I fear we'll be going around in circles a
people add new features and "fixes" in the future...

  --david

On 9/12/05, Keith Owens <kaos@sgi.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:49:56 -0700 (PDT),
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:
> >

> >On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Keith Owens wrote:
> >>
> >> Or does something that stops the scheduler running on other cpus, which
> >> ia64 does.  You are probably unaware that MCA/INIT cause the _entire_
> >> system to rendezvous.  All cpus are driven into MCA/INIT code, not just
> >> the current cpu.  So the scheduler cannot run on any cpu during
> >> MCA/INIT.
> >
> >Ok, I definitely missed that part.
> >
> >Then, we should add a huge honking comment somewhere there, to make it
> >obvious that those functions are only usable within that context. And
> >probably make them #ifdef CONFIG_IA64 too (and hide them in shame at the
> >bottom of the file), so that nobody can ever use them for anything else.
> >
> >For example, right now the thing says "this function must be called with
> >interrupts disabled". That's a piece of crap. If it had said "this
> >function must be called only when all CPU's in the system have been
> >stopped", that's something else altogether.
>
> I'll give you that one, it should have said "interrupts disabled on all
> cpus", and do a patch against git tommorrow.  Then I can get back to
> taking my seriously damaging drugs[1], AKA working on IA64 recovery.
>
> BTW Linus, are you aware that your mailer is putting spaces at the end
> of almost every text line?
>
> [1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ia64&m=112649624832016&w=2
>
> -

Mosberger Consulting LLC, voice/fax: 510-744-9372,
http://www.mosberger-consulting.com/
35706 Runckel Lane, Fremont, CA 94536