Re: git pull on ia64 linux tree

From: Keith Owens <kaos_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-09-13 01:13:30
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 07:49:56 -0700 (PDT),
Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:

>On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Keith Owens wrote:
>>
>> Or does something that stops the scheduler running on other cpus, which
>> ia64 does.  You are probably unaware that MCA/INIT cause the _entire_
>> system to rendezvous.  All cpus are driven into MCA/INIT code, not just
>> the current cpu.  So the scheduler cannot run on any cpu during
>> MCA/INIT.
>
>Ok, I definitely missed that part.
>
>Then, we should add a huge honking comment somewhere there, to make it
>obvious that those functions are only usable within that context. And
>probably make them #ifdef CONFIG_IA64 too (and hide them in shame at the
>bottom of the file), so that nobody can ever use them for anything else.
>
>For example, right now the thing says "this function must be called with
>interrupts disabled". That's a piece of crap. If it had said "this
>function must be called only when all CPU's in the system have been
>stopped", that's something else altogether.

I'll give you that one, it should have said "interrupts disabled on all
cpus", and do a patch against git tommorrow.  Then I can get back to
taking my seriously damaging drugs[1], AKA working on IA64 recovery.

BTW Linus, are you aware that your mailer is putting spaces at the end
of almost every text line?

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-ia64&m=112649624832016&w=2