Re: git pull on ia64 linux tree

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds_at_osdl.org>
Date: 2005-09-12 13:19:37
On Mon, 12 Sep 2005, Keith Owens wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:56:28 -0700 (PDT),
> Linus Torvalds <torvalds@osdl.org> wrote:
> >
> >What's going on? Why would machine check interrupts muck with these
> >things? Pls explain.. This is a total violation of all layering, and
> >anybody who uses these things is just going to cause strange oopses etc
> >crap.
> >
> >Wazzup?
>
> http://lkml.org/lkml/2005/9/8/315/.

That doesn't explain anything that I can't see in the code.

So let me repeat the question: why the hell does a MCA muck with global
(and very core) kernel state? Why doesn't it just set perfectly normal
internal ia64 state?

The fact that it uses a separate stack is _not_ an explanation. That's
just throwing words around. Everybody uses a separate stack. x86 does it
for every single interrupt. That doesn't make x86 change global scheduler
state.

ia64 is doing something WRONG. Stop it. Or give me a real explanation of
what the f*ck ia64 is doing that makes it want to modify core scheduler
data structures from the machine check handler. It has _no_ business doing
that.

ia64 does have a perfectly fine pointer to "current": it's the ia64 TP
register. So change _that_ instead, and if there's some silly unwinder
that depends on global state, fix it.

			Linus