Re: [NUMA] Display and modify the memory policy of a process through /proc/<pid>/numa_policy

From: Christoph Lameter <clameter_at_engr.sgi.com>
Date: 2005-07-17 15:56:12
On Sat, 16 Jul 2005, Paul Jackson wrote:

> I'm missing something here.  Are you saying that just a change to
> libnuma would suffice to accomplish what you sought with this patch?

Its a quite significant change but yes of course you can do that if you
really favor libnuma and IMHO want to make it difficult to maintain and to
use.

> If that's the case, we don't need a kernel patch, right?

Sure.

> And despite Andi's urging us to only access these facilities via
> libnuma, there is no law to that affect that I know of.  At the least,
> you could present user level only code that accomplished the object
> of this patch set, with no kernel change.

Sure you can write a series of tools that accomplish the same.

> I don't think that is possible, short of gross hackery on /dev/mem.
> I think some sort of kernel change is required to enable one task to
> change the numa policy of another task.

Yes doing what I said to libnuma would require a significant rework of the
APIs and the kernel libnuma stuff. Its easier to implement the whole thing
using /proc, then no libraries would need to be modified, no tools need to
be written. Just accept the patch that I posted, fix up whatever has to be
fixed and we are done.