Re: [NUMA] Display and modify the memory policy of a process through /proc/<pid>/numa_policy

From: Paul Jackson <pj_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-07-17 13:50:38
Christoph wrote:
> Correct. We could implement the changing of policies via an extension
> of the existing libnuma. That could be easily done as far as I can
> tell. If that is done then the patch that I proposed is no longer
> necessary. But then libnuma needs to also be extended to
>
> 1. Allow the discovery of the memory policies of each vma for each
> process

I'm missing something here.  Are you saying that just a change to
libnuma would suffice to accomplish what you sought with this patch?

If that's the case, we don't need a kernel patch, right?

And despite Andi's urging us to only access these facilities via
libnuma, there is no law to that affect that I know of.  At the least,
you could present user level only code that accomplished the object
of this patch set, with no kernel change.

I don't think that is possible, short of gross hackery on /dev/mem.
I think some sort of kernel change is required to enable one task to
change the numa policy of another task.

What the heck, over ??

--
                  I won't rest till it's the best ...