Re: [NUMA] Display and modify the memory policy of a process through /proc/<pid>/numa_policy

From: Andi Kleen <ak_at_suse.de>
Date: 2005-07-16 08:37:57
On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 03:30:40PM -0700, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> I cannot imagine that migrate pages make it into the kernel in its
> current form. It combines multiple functionalities that need to be
> separate (it does update the memory policy, clears the page cache, deals
> with memory policy translations and then does heuristics to guess which
> vma's to transfer) and then provides a complex function moving of pages
> between groups of nodes.
>
> Therefore:
>
> 1. Updating the memory policy is something that can be useful in other
>    settings as well so it need to be separate. The patch we are discussing

Not for external processes except in the narrow special case
of migrating everything. External processes shouldn' t
know about virtual addresses of other people.

> 3. Memory policy translations better be done in user space. The batch
>    scheduler /sysadmin knows which node has what pages so it can easily
>    develop page movement scheme that is optimal for the process.

I don't think the existing policies are complex enough to make
this useful. The mapping for page migration for all of
them is quite straight forward.

-Andi