RE: Xen and the Art of Linux/ia64 Virtualization

From: Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) <dan.magenheimer_at_hp.com>
Date: 2005-07-12 01:09:45
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2005, Magenheimer, Dan (HP Labs Fort Collins) wrote:
> > Also unlike Xen/x86, Linux/ia64 with CONFIG_XEN enabled runs
> > successfully on Xen, but also run natively on hardware (called
> > "transparent paravirtualization").
>
> That's neat indeed.
>
> > This should be appealing to Linux/ia64 distributors as different
> > kernels need not be shipped for running on Xen or running native.
>
> What's the performance impact for using transparanent
> paravirtualization?
> Is it sufficiently low that distributors really can consider using a
> single kernel for both native and Xen "hosting"?

I ran a test over the weekend comparing kernel.org 2.6.12
compiled for a zx1 (rx2600) vs the same with transparent
paravirtualization enabled.  The test is compiling linux-2.6.12
(several times... I interrupted the second run) in
single-user mode.

As you can see, the performance impact is "in the noise".

If someone wants to run a benchmark that can be measured
with better precision than 1 part in 1000, please let
me know.

Dan

=====

transparent paravirtualization