Re: [patch 0/4] ia64 SPARSEMEM

From: Bob Picco <bob.picco_at_hp.com>
Date: 2005-05-27 08:04:54
David Mosberger wrote:	[Thu May 26 2005, 04:09:06PM EDT]

>   >> + * SECTION_SIZE_BITS            2^N: how big each section will be
>
>   Bob> I don't perceive VIRTUAL_MEM_MAP as a nicer solution.  Actually
>   Bob> SPARSEMEM is a very elegant solution for memory holes and
>   Bob> hotplug memory.
>
> Except that it requires configuration?  What happens if
> SECTION_SIZE_BITS is chosen wrong or poorly for a given (perhaps new)
> platform?
>
> 	--david
> -
Yes I suppose this is a valid point.  Choosing a bad value for a very
sparse address address space or machine with small quantity of memory could
consume lots of useless memory for section_map and/or reserved page
structures.

I'd prefer not to have a platform specific solution.  This needs to be given
some more thought.

bob