Re: [Fwd: RE: elf header bits for page migration support......]

From: Jack Carter <jcarter_at_sgi.com>
Date: 2005-05-16 06:08:21
H. J. Lu wrote:

>On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 12:25:23PM -0700, Jack Carter wrote:
>

>>Ray Bryant wrote:
>>

>>>2/2

I was trying to give a number of scenarios, one of which
was that the new "section"  that was suggested, would be
in it's own segment because that way it could be put at the
end of the file and not perturb the rest of the executable.

In any case, the situation where you create a new area of data
that rld needs to read has to be pointed to. Whether this is a
new virtual segment or a new entry in the .dynamic section which
by the way would probably be a better place for it.

In either case you will be growing things that may not have
room to grow and that's where the problems start to happen.

This not to say it's impossible to do. I did this and much more
with pixie on IRIX executables and dsos. It is just that there
are a lot of gottchas to contend with and I'm not sure how you
content with them in the open source world unless you get it
firmly established in the ABI.

Regards,

Jack