Re: heads up: apparent GAS bug in current (CVS) binutils

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-05-14 06:59:06

  >> <hongjiu.lu@intel.com> said:

  HJ> I tried binutils 2.15.92.0.2 20040927 and got the same
  HJ> result. What is the version of assembler which you think is
  HJ> good?
  >>  The standard Debian/sarge as seems fine:

  >> $ as -v GNU assembler version 2.15 (ia64-linux) using BFD version
  >> 2.15

  HJ> As I have mentioned before, it is an IPF specific kernel issue.
  HJ> Basically, when you use weak functions, unwind info may be
  HJ> wrong.  I am enclosing an updated kernel patch.

I agree that this is weird code that needs to be fixed, preferably by
not using weak functions at all (as Andreas suggested).

However, there still seems to be a binutils issues here: if this is
something binutils cannot properly support, it should issue an error,
not silently generate wrong code, no?