Re: write_unlock: replace clear_bit with byte store

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-04-30 02:01:14

  Christoph> The same situation of .nta only for GCC already exists
  Christoph> for regular spinlocks as a result of my nta unlock patch
  Christoph> that I posted a week or so ago.

  >> And that's an argument to make the situation worse?  How about
  >> cleaning up the previous patch instead?

  Christoph> I don't think it's fair to expect contributors to fix up
  Christoph> ifdef'ed bits for a propritary compiler.  If HP and Intel
  Christoph> care about it they can add the features for icc later.

I don't think this is about proprietary vs non-proprietary.  It's
about whether the code is clean.  I'd _love_ to get rid of inline asm
in the future when GCC supports intrinsics since that could lead to
significantly improved code.

(And no, I don't expect Chris to necessarily fix up the ICC bits, though
 a reasonable best-effort wouldn't take much time.)