Re: [03/08] fix ia64 syscall auditing

From: Andrew Morton <akpm_at_osdl.org>
Date: 2005-04-07 08:43:16
Ryan Anderson <ryan@michonline.com> wrote:

> > >   Greg> -stable review patch.  If anyone has any objections, please
> > >   Greg> let us know.
> > >
> > > Nitpick: the patch introduces trailing whitespace.
> >
> > Sorry about that, I've removed it from the patch now.
> >
> > > Why doesn't everybody use emacs and enable show-trailing-whitespace? ;-)
> >
> > Because some of us use vim and ":set list" to see it, when we remember
> > to... :)
>
> Try adding this to your .vimrc:
>
> highlight WhitespaceEOL ctermbg=red guibg=red
> match WhitespaceEOL /\s\+$/
>
> Then you'll have to resist the urge to fix whitespace issues instead of
> not seeing them at all.

Yeah, that's a risk.  But gratuitous trailing whitespace changes shouldn't
cause a lot of downstream problems due to `patch -l'.

What I do is to ensure that we never _add_ trailing whitespace.  So
anything which matches

	^+.*[tab or space]$

gets trimmed.  My theory is that after 10 years of this, all the trailing
whitespace will be gone.  Problem is, I also see the hundreds of lines of
code in the bk patches which add trailing whitespace :(

Larry sent me a little bk script which would spam the user if they tried to
commit something which adds trailing whitespace, but maybe that's a bit
academic right now.