Re: [Gelato-technical] Serious performance degradation on a RAID with kernel 2.6.11

From: Rob Fowler <rjf_at_cs.rice.edu>
Date: 2005-04-06 06:43:30
I've recently had discussions with several vendors who have mentioned
similar magnitudes of disk performance degradation due to the
coupling of vibration between cooling fans and disks.  This can
dramatically increase seek time by keeping the arm from settling.
In one case, upgrading a chassis fan caused disk throughput to go down
by a factor of 16.  The solution is careful attention to vibration
damping in mountings.  Vibration caused by fan bearing wear could have
a similar effect.

Can you go back to your old kernel to verify that it is still
giving you the same performance?

-- Rob Fowler