RE: [Patch 0/3] Page table quicklist fixups Rev 3.

From: Luck, Tony <tony.luck_at_intel.com>
Date: 2005-03-04 08:57:49
>Here are the changes again.  I have not received a response from you
>about the restructered shrink routine.  I have incorporated David
>Mosberger's recommendations.

Your new shrink routine looks ok, but you didn't address the
double role played by NODE_FREE_PAGES_SHIFT ... you just dropped the
comment that explained one of its uses - which isn't what I'd hoped
for :-)

I'm also a bit uncomfortable with:

+		preempt_enable();
+		preempt_disable();

For a kernel with CONFIG_PREEMPT=n, this is a no-op ... so if there
is a ton of extra pages on the quicklist, we'll loop freeing 16 at
a time and re-computing how many to free, with no pause to take a
breath (or a clock tick).

Are there other places in the kernel where this idiom is being used?

-Tony