RE: [patch]:MC/MT enabling/identification for IA-64

From: Seth, Rohit <rohit.seth_at_intel.com>
Date: 2005-02-26 10:01:07
David Mosberger <> wrote on Friday, February 25, 2005 2:47 PM:

>   Rohit> For pinning a task (or set of tasks) to same core or multiple
>   Rohit> cores, you only need package id and core id.  The thread
>   Rohit> information is really not required.  Right?
>
> Yeah, that's true.  At least I can't come up with a good reason of
> wanting to know which thread exactly you're running on.  Having said
> that, from a user-perspective, looking at two entries in /proc/cpuinfo
> and seeing that the socket id/core id are the same and only the thread
> ids are different probably would give me more of a warm and fuzzy
> feeling.

Well, I was only trying to evaluate what is the most optimal set of
entries for /proc/cpuinfo.  I'm sure there are other entries
present...for precisely the same reason that you listed.

>   Rohit> AFAIK, an easy way for apps (for licensing etc.) to find out
>   Rohit> if and how many LEUs are present without doing any other
>   Rohit> calculation.
>
> Yeah, I guess "MAX(thread_id) + 1" does count as a "calculation".  And
> I thought computers where good at that... ;-)

Siblings have no direct relationship with thread_id.  Tids(threads ids)
are not guranteed to be contiguous.

-rohit