RE: [patch]:MC/MT enabling/identification for IA-64

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-02-26 09:46:46

  Rohit> For pinning a task (or set of tasks) to same core or multiple
  Rohit> cores, you only need package id and core id.  The thread
  Rohit> information is really not required.  Right?

Yeah, that's true.  At least I can't come up with a good reason of
wanting to know which thread exactly you're running on.  Having said
that, from a user-perspective, looking at two entries in /proc/cpuinfo
and seeing that the socket id/core id are the same and only the thread
ids are different probably would give me more of a warm and fuzzy
feeling.

  Rohit> AFAIK, an easy way for apps (for licensing etc.) to find out
  Rohit> if and how many LEUs are present without doing any other
  Rohit> calculation.

Yeah, I guess "MAX(thread_id) + 1" does count as a "calculation".  And
I thought computers where good at that... ;-)