RE: [patch]:MC/MT enabling/identification for IA-64

From: Seth, Rohit <>
Date: 2005-02-26 08:15:05
David Mosberger <> wrote on Friday, February 25, 2005 12:47 PM:

>   Rohit> "Cpu Cores" identifying the number of cores in a physical
>   Rohit> package is present in x86_64 and not there in i386 tree.
>   Rohit> Will following work:
>   Rohit> Physical id: Identifying the unique physical package id for
>   LEU Rohit> Core id: Identifying the unique core id on that specific
>   physical Rohit> package
>   Rohit> Siblings: Identifying the total number LEUs on that physical
> package.
> Well, I think it would be useful if we can look at /proc/cpuinfo and
> get a mapping from Linux CPU number to "topological address" (socket
> id, core id, thread id).  With that plus taskset, it would be very
> easy to run a test with, for example, two processes pinned to the two
> threads on the same core or pinned to separate cores, etc.

For pinning a task (or set of tasks) to same core or multiple cores, you
only need package id and core id.  The thread information is really not
required.  Right?

>   Rohit> Siblings is the one that apps have already started using on
> i386.
> What is it being used for?

AFAIK, an easy way for apps (for licensing etc.) to find out if and how
many LEUs are present without doing any other calculation.

the body of a message to
More majordomo info at