RE: [patch]:MC/MT enabling/identification for IA-64

From: David Mosberger <davidm_at_napali.hpl.hp.com>
Date: 2005-02-26 07:47:15

  Rohit> "Cpu Cores" identifying the number of cores in a physical
  Rohit> package is present in x86_64 and not there in i386 tree.

  Rohit> Will following work:

  Rohit> Physical id: Identifying the unique physical package id for LEU
  Rohit> Core id: Identifying the unique core id on that specific physical
  Rohit> package
  Rohit> Siblings: Identifying the total number LEUs on that physical package.

Well, I think it would be useful if we can look at /proc/cpuinfo and
get a mapping from Linux CPU number to "topological address" (socket
id, core id, thread id).  With that plus taskset, it would be very
easy to run a test with, for example, two processes pinned to the two
threads on the same core or pinned to separate cores, etc.

  Rohit> Siblings is the one that apps have already started using on i386.

What is it being used for?