Re: Allow to change SD_NODES_PER_DOMAIN at configuration or boot time

From: Nick Piggin <nickpiggin_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 2005-02-24 18:39:51
On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 17:24 -0800, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 16, 2005 5:07 pm, Luck, Tony wrote:
> > option still looks like it does the wrong thing as often as it helps.
> > The command line option needs to add some text to kernel-parameters.txt
> > to explain what this does, and how to pick the right value.
>
> I completely agree and like the idea of a tunable too.  I'm not sure what the
> default should be though--I don't think 6 makes much sense, but 4, as you
> said, is capable of causing harm...  I guess we should just pick something.

To all those looking at scheduler tuning - I have posted my
scheduler patchset to LKML, which should address various issues
with SMT, CMP, NUMA, excessive task movement between CPUs,
nodes, etc. However it is likely to be in a poor state of tune
for some workloads.

I hope Andrew will pick it up in -mm soon, but I can provide a
rollup against 2.6 if anyone is interested. I don't expect it to
be merged until after 2.6.12 at the earliest, but I hope that
anyone doing tuning can target this version, because it will
otherwise invalidate your results if I am able to get it merged.

Please ask, and I will be more than willing to try to help tuning
or solving any problems and regressions.

Nick