Re: IA64 memory

From: Vaibhav Sharma <vaibhav.sh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 2005-02-20 22:18:50
hi,
Thanks for all the help..

I am actually very new to EFI.

I had studied the EFI provided memory map...(Efiloader data,
Eficonventional memory etc)..
But I had one doubt...
The memory map from efi is also defined for locations more than that
which is available (I had 6GB of RAM on the machine, but the memory
map covered addresses more than 6GB). I could not understand why it
does so...
These addresses contained efi memory types as in the "actual"
available memory (< 6GB) like "efiConventionaMemory"and type
"MemoryIOPortSpace" in the end.

It would be great if I could get some documentation on how this memory
map is created and why the memory map is supplied to the kernel for
address ranges more than that existing in physical memory. Also the
kernel will be using the "WB" type of memory only, and in the dump of
efi memory map, i found that the these zones had "WB" type. Are these
zones also used by the kernel and if not, for what purpose these zones
are.
TIA
---
vaibhav